Editorial Intern, Avenue Calgary
Avenue magazine is seeking an editorial intern for a 3.5 month term from September 5 – December 15, 2017. This full-time contract position in our Calgary office is an opportunity to work with an award-winning publication.
RedPoint Media & Marketing Solutions is an award-winning publishing house and content-driven marketing studio in Calgary. You’ll be joining the team that creates our in-house brand Avenue Calgary, an award-winning city lifestyle magazine. Our company also creates custom publications for clients like WestJet, BC Ferries and the Calgary Foundation. RedPoint seeks out the best and brightest talent in the industry, and as a RedPoint employee, you’ll play a vital role in shaping our company’s future.
Avenue magazine seeks an editorial intern for a three-and-a-half month term beginning September 5, 2017 and ending December 15, 2017. This is a full-time contract position in our Calgary office. The salary is $2114.66 per month; you will be paid $1057.33 semi-monthly on the 1st and 15th of the month.
This is an opportunity to:
- Write stories for the magazine and website that focus on the city of Calgary’s culture, cultural offerings.
- Participate in brainstorming story ideas for the print publication and the related digital properties.
- Research and fact-check stories as assigned, while ensuring the accuracy and quality for which Avenue magazine is known.
- Enter changes into the magazine proofing files.
- Provide general assistance to the editorial team with a particular view to both learning about the magazine and the industry generally and improving the overall quality of the publication, website and newsletters.
- Take on other duties as assigned.
our ideal candidate
As an intern for Avenue magazine, you’re passionate about the people, cultures and lifestyles that define this city, and you’re able to work in a team and across teams to produce a great product.
Your skills, knowledge and know-how:
- Post-secondary education in journalism, electronic publishing or a related field.
- Minimum one year of media experience.
- Ability to write, edit and proofread effectively.
- Great communication skills.
- Very organized, with exceptional time-management skills.
- Fluency in Microsoft Office, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, social networking sites and the Mac operating system.
In order to fit into our team and be a strong contributor to Avenue, you are:
- Smart, professional and a lot of fun to work with.
- Passionate about the quality of your work.
- Interested in the direction of the city and excited about Avenue’s many topic areas including city life, profiles, arts & culture, events, dining, home decor, fashion, shopping, travel and mountain life.
- A self-starter with a reputation for doing what you say you will do and getting things done on time.
- Curious about the world around you with a way of looking at concepts, trends and ideas from new and unexpected angles.
- Dedicated to improving quality and concerned about the details.
our RedPoint Package
As a creative company, RedPoint provides a stimulating, supportive work environment with a vibrant atmosphere and excellent benefits. We offer employees a flexible work schedule and competitive compensation. Employees are encouraged to give back to the community and the industry and to pursue their professional development.
how to apply
This posting is open until August 11, 2017.
Interested candidates should apply in confidence by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “internship” in your reference line. Applicants are asked to submit three published articles, along with a cover letter and résumé. We thank all applicants for their interest in joining our team. Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted directly.